1. TOURNAMENT SERVERS

darwin.snipezilla.com:27015(74.91.122.168:27015)
    darwin.snipezilla.com:27016(74.91.122.168:27016)
    Command: !sz, !menu

Mountain Side Concept

Discussion in 'Snipin's a good job, mate!' started by ExplosiveDeer, Mar 4, 2014.

Sloped movement? Or recessed/carved bunkers into the slopes.

1. Defenses on slope (allowing up & down play on angle)

5 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Recessed/Carved Bunker (aesthetic slopes)

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  1. ExplosiveDeer

ExplosiveDeer Rocket Man Staff Member The Mapper Admin.Sʐ

Mountain Side (alpha)
    After getting a positive response on the Sniper_Orange edit, I decided to start right away on a new map. What I have in mind at the moment is a mountain side type map where two slopes face each other.

The big question here is:

Should the map have defenses on the slope allowing you to run up and down the slope and simply hide behind cover as such.
    or
    Should the slopes simply be an aesthetic and instead have bunker recessed into each slope from which both teams will shoot from.

Personally, I like the first idea, as this will help to practice sniping at a much broader variety of scope angles. The average sniper map consists of level terrain, and floors which raise your angle roughly 10-20 degrees every floor. With a slope, the angle could range from a level 0 degrees, to upwards of 60 degrees.
    Why would an increase in angle variety be good?
    I'm certain most players find it 50x easier to quickly headshot someone who is on the same level-plane as them. Considering most of the standard maps in tf2 are anything but flat, practicing on a map like this will help to improve skill with regards to broader angle'd scenarios.
    History of the map:
    Let me know what you're thoughts are! I'm really excited for this project and cannot wait to see it finished :D

Its starting to look like something! 7/2/2014
    (I'll be making a new post in the map repository section soon because progress!)
    [​IMG]
    As you can see I changed the "canal" to a river-like pond. It has a a major resemblance to the cp_gorge dry bank. What I plan to do here is turn the two slopes into terrain faces and make it sorta forest-like with a windy road that goes up it. Nothing too crowded, don't want a hide-and-seek game, but there definitely needs to be some cover!
    A Better Perspective 7/11/2014
    You can't seen the latest changes just yet! There is terrain being molded under the slopes at the moment though. It's coming along quite nicely! It's interesting how numbers like 128, 512, 1024, etc... Seem to make mapping the easiest thing in the world.
    [From the slope]
    [​IMG]
    *Please do excuse the shitty rock formation there. Was a test, I swear!
    [​IMG]
    [From the bottom - Across]
    [​IMG]

Below: Scoped for reference as to just how wide the map is.
    [​IMG]

A Crack in the Slope! 7/23/2014
    With one orange slope now gone, the shape of the map will probably be a lot easier to picture! Keep in mind the floating plane is the maximum height the slope will reach and level out at. Whats even more exciting about the map is its slight differences it will have on both sides of the map. I'd like to experiment with a design that does not simply duplicate one side over to the other. Through play testing I will adjust areas that may give advantages over the other, but I have high hopes it will work out! I can also see this map eventually taking on 5CP and Koth, maybe even Ctf! But that's definitely after the map has been finished for sniper v sniper!
    [Red's Slope]
    [​IMG]
    Below: Slightly different screenshot angle
    [​IMG]
    Below: Screenshot down the length of the map with base of slope
    [​IMG]

A Centerpiece! 7/24/2014
    I'm really starting to get into the hang of this and see a finish date very soon! I've run into a tad lighting issue, but it shouldn't stop this train of development. I do know that this building here tends to take attention away from the road behind it, but once all of the detailing is finished on the slopes it will have a balanced attraction all over and should make a very interesting environment to play in. While the sniper fight might focus around the bridge, spawn locations can help to alleviate crowding and will be placed both in the building as well further up the road. At some point I will remove the control point to alleviate the strong KOTH representation it gives off. (That will of course be the location of the capture point on the KOTH version of the map.)
    Below: The lighting bug is fairly hideous and easy to spot on the building, but no worries! It will be squashed.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Below: Player for scale :^)
    [​IMG]
    Seeing Double! 7/24/2014 (Officially in Beta!)
    That's right! BETA, one of the best parts about map making. It's in that stage where you've pretty much got bugs to fix, and in some cases, balancing to do, but this can stage can also be tackled with community input through live testing of the map! So what does this mean? You guys get to play test the map! It's almost like that rd_asteroid beta thing TF2 started. Except... SNIPER STYLE :)

[​IMG]
    See more:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Seeing Patterns 8/9/2014 (Officially in Alpha-Beta!?)
    After a good few hours of straight work on the map I've come up with a new terrain system that will ensure number friendly stats, as well tremendous flexibility. At the moment it looks a lot like a light/shade test grid, but do not worry! Here's a bit of explanation of what you see below: Each terrain textured 1024x1024 square you see represents the face of the mountain similarly to the previous map set up. The difference here is the consistency it has compared to the last map. Each 1024 section will rise exactly 512 units up to connect to the next level of 1024x1024 terrain squares. At the moment it may look like it will be an extremely rough mountain side, but I still have some work to do with regards to the sharp rise of 512 units in some areas of the slope. Enough talk, more pictures!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The grey dev textured areas represent skybox or out of reach zones for the map. Upon face-lifting the terrain I was also able to easily make a more friendly edge for the map that won't have players seeing the edge of the world :)

Code:
    Random stats here:
    - Roughly 20 seconds to side strafe / run across the width of the map. (Left side to right side)
    - Roughly 70 seconds (1 minute 10 seconds) to run the length of the map. (Red spawn to Blue spawn)

The more I look at this map's future, the more I'm liking the idea of a night version as well!

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. cedde

cedde Snipin's a good job, mate! Staff Member SNIPEZILLA Admin.Sʐ Sʐ Tournament -Sʐ-

:) OMG

3. ΩhiteΣtripeʐ

ΩhiteΣtripeʐ Autism Speaks SNIPEZILLA

OMG please dont make it orange!

4. ExplosiveDeer

Very very alpha mate ;) The map has changed quite a bit since those photos. I do plan to make both an orange version of it, and a textured version.

5. ΩhiteΣtripeʐ

The poll I can not answer both are good ideas and offer very diff game play. :)

6. ExplosiveDeer

This project will probably take a more formidable amount of time than the sniper_orange edit. I've picked up a project that involves improving the infamous map harbl_hotel. I will also be implementing a Mann vs Machine game mode into that map making it the first ever vertical MVM map.

7. ExplosiveDeer

But do not fear! To make up for this added delay, I shall provide more early alpha photos!

ΩhiteΣtripeʐ likes this.
  8. cedde

cedde Snipin's a good job, mate! Staff Member SNIPEZILLA Admin.Sʐ Sʐ Tournament -Sʐ-

what's up with that?

ΩhiteΣtripeʐ likes this.
  9. Magnus

Magnus Ambassador of Banned players Human Rights... [=ΩH=]

new map?

ΩhiteΣtripeʐ likes this.
  10. ExplosiveDeer

I knocked out a good portion today :) The center piece was giving me some real trouble, but what I wound up going with I think really satisfies the map!

11. J.D. wHO DAt

J.D. wHO DAt Moderator Staff Member Moderator The Enforcer -Sʐ- Admin.Sʐ

Expand the map out........take the terrain and move it out on the x-axis if the gutter is the y axis. I cant say much more because maybe the maps is very long but the view that we have does now show it.......it is length of XXL, XL, or vanilla orange.

12. ẐҽᶍḺȋѻɳ

ẐҽᶍḺȋѻɳ Baby Zilla Staff Member -Sʐ- Admin.Sʐ

I'm really looking forward to this map. I wasn't too interested until the new picture showed up with the bottom piece that looks like actual terrain. It would be cool to be able to walk upon the surface of the slopes but maybe another way to add some sort of shelter is with some simple cave systems underground.

13. ΩhiteΣtripeʐ

Keep up the good work Deer.

14. ExplosiveDeer

I get what ya mean J.D! Screenshot angles make a huge difference :p I'll have some newly angled screenshots shortly. You will have a better sense of just how much space there is to play with.

Random stats here:
    It takes roughly 20 seconds to side strafe / run across the length of the map.
    Running forward and jumping while going down a slope results in slight fall damage. (Note: this is because the slopes at the moment are crazy flat)

15. J.D. wHO DAt

J.D. wHO DAt Moderator Staff Member Moderator The Enforcer -Sʐ- Admin.Sʐ

20..........................................................................................................................................................seconds....................AT TWENTY.............. "I" need a taste. My kinda map, kinda like barn!!!!

16. ExplosiveDeer

Updated images of the map progress! It's coming along really nicely. There's a bit of work to do with the brush work, you can see an odd shadow line towards the bottom right half of the last image in A Crack in the Slope's 3rd image. Meshed terrain can be so weird :/

17. ẐҽᶍḺȋѻɳ

ẐҽᶍḺȋѻɳ Baby Zilla Staff Member -Sʐ- Admin.Sʐ

I'm just thinking out loud but this map seems like it will end up to be quite open with less places to hide. As snipers, we usually prefer to have hiding spots instead of being in the open so what if there was some kind of structure (for example a castle) in the middle of the map which would provide shelter. This way, both red and blue will have something to fight for rather than just random killing. There could also be some health packs in that central shelter.

I'm actually getting this idea from the usual "Orange" maps...regular Orange maps not the sniper version. The typical Orange map is usually quite open but it has a huge building right in the center of the map and its gives benefit to anyone who occupies that building.

Just my 2 cents.

P.S. Whatever direction this map goes in, I think it will be really fun to play on especially with this outdoors theme.

18. ExplosiveDeer

I totally get what ya mean there, and I think this could be solved with a bit more rocks or even perhaps some kind of beaten up shack in the center.

Here's an update with a concept centerpiece. At both ends of the bridge there could be a small control room/bunker.
    [​IMG]
    Above: Take note the road has gone farther! The bridge is essentially from cp_gorge.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2014
  19. Darth Doggy

Darth Doggy It's Doge time!! Staff Member Administrator Moderator Sʐ Tournament -Sʐ- Lord of the Memes Admin.Sʐ

So this would be a CTF map? (apologies if already stated)
    As I know some CTF maps are, in a sense, inactive. You can control the point, but nothing benefits your team from it besides the controlling colour (if enabled).

20. cedde

Looks like a KOTH map