1. TOURNAMENT SERVERS

darwin.snipezilla.com:27015(74.91.122.168:27015)
    darwin.snipezilla.com:27016(74.91.122.168:27016)
    Command: !sz, !menu

Need opinions on this project!

Discussion in 'Snipin's a good job, mate!' started by Cats, Nov 3, 2014.

Do you think it could be a good idea ?

1. YES!!! DO IT!

95.2%
  2. Meh... won't work.

4.8%
  1. Cats

Cats #hs Staff Member SNIPEZILLA Sʐ Tournament Admin.Sʐ

Hello Snipezilla community,

I've been around the SvS community for a while now, most of you guys already know me. Since I started SvS maybe 2 years ago I always had this crazy idea of a project I wanted to make, a Sniper Vs. Sniper league. A SvS league ? What do you mean ? What I meant is a way of ranking players or even teams on their skill level. So here's the general idea I have in mind:

I would create a website called (insert awesome original name here) where every player will be able to login through steam. The first mode would be 1V1 where every player would be assigned to an opponent and every loses and victories would be compiled to a database. This database would give you a rank based on an elo system. The goal here is that the website would match you with people of your caliber and display your ranking to the world. The second mode would be 2V2 tournaments. These tournaments would be free at first with low rewards but when the time comes, I would like to make it so that you have to pay a fee to enter a tournament and therefore have a bigger prize at the end. Exemple, Tournament fee : 2 refined metal, Winner gets 3 keys(prize would depend on how many people are participating). Tournaments would also be based on elo, for example, a 1800+ elo requirement to enter. Third and final mode would be clan scrims. I would make a whole section for clans, if, for an example, ESS would want to join, the team leader would submit a short description of their clan and their line up. Team leaders would be able to navigate and see other clans and have an option to challenge them to a scrim. All these game modes would be played on 3 different servers provided by myself.

PLEASE, tell me if you want this to happen or if you think it wouldn't work at all. I WANT YOUR OPINIONS. Also, if anyone is interested in helping me through this project, it would be greatly appreciated. VOTE ON THE POLL !!!!

DrunkDoc likes this.
  2. ẐҽᶍḺȋѻɳ

ẐҽᶍḺȋѻɳ Baby Zilla Staff Member -Sʐ- Admin.Sʐ

I like the idea but I think in order for this to work, there would need to be a governing body (even if that governing body was just 1 person). I think without one, it would be hard to tell if a person got a real win and people who lose might not record their loss.

Also, I think there there are some snipers who in their head may think they are better than they really are (maybe me included) and once they start to get beat again and again, they might get discouraged and stop participating. I like the idea of prizes for 2v2 mode but I think the prizes need to be there for 1v1 mode as well to give people incentives to participate as well as a reason for people to want to continue after a few initial losses.

I can donate my metals if needed to get some sort of initial prize going and I really don't use my scraps and metals since I'm not a trader so I could donate my future ones as well if this concept keeps going.

3. Darth Doggy

Darth Doggy It's Doge time!! Staff Member Administrator Moderator Sʐ Tournament -Sʐ- Lord of the Memes Admin.Sʐ

Hey Cats! Welcome to the forums :)

It's a pretty neat idea, as to create an online matcher for SvS rounds, matches and tournaments. The biggest issue that I foresee with the concept is the amount of effort. I've seen clans and tournaments rise and fall, mainly due to the lack of interest and participation of those who are 'members' of the group or community. It's easy to make teams follow a rendezvous point, but such becomes a bit difficult when people have to be self-governing about matches. I mean to say this under the variables that there are, in fact, many snipers signed up for the website that you're describing.

I partially agree with Zexlion's second point, as there are snipers who become discouraged by loss. But there are also those who receive more motivation the more they lose.

In terms of a "governing body", there was an idea spouted a while back - with which I could not continue due to my inability to find time to continue the project. Here's the link to the thread: http://www.snipezilla.com/threads/sniper-council-creation.206/ Maybe it can prove useful to you.

In general, I like the whole idea, as I haven't seen proper sniper tournaments take place for a while. Mainly very focused battles between the few still running clans around (as you should know, being in HS).

4. DrunkDoc

DrunkDoc Sz. Personnel Manager Staff Member Administrator Moderator Admin.Sʐ King of the Bitch Fight -Sʐ- "Drunk"

In this proposal we would (we being the svs community) would all work together, but I think part one should be getting face to face (online) with some other larger and well known sniper groupswe have sz ess hs (idk) and maybe some others but lets get more out there.. some smaller groups reached out to me for a ess partnership, they had like 200 members ill start looking around, but I support this. one condition though.. we need to increase prizes most likely... 2 keys would be very discouraging to a lot of people, I can help with that I always have extra crap to give away

5. DrunkDoc

DrunkDoc Sz. Personnel Manager Staff Member Administrator Moderator Admin.Sʐ King of the Bitch Fight -Sʐ- "Drunk"

also I propose the owners of all the groups that join are apart of this governing body with the requirements of like a set # of members either in their group or participating, or make the highest sz members a part of it, if its hosted here

6. twsd «+»

twsd «+» Baby Zilla «+»

Obviously, larger sniper groups consisting of multiple members would have to somehow disband and merge into several smaller groups in order to participate. The groups we have today are more like huge families where if you meet the standards and are friends with the leaders, you can get in. If Cats makes this all possible, I would suggest everyone to pick 3 or 4 of your closest sniping buddies and form up a competitive team with them taking into consideration their strengths and weaknesses. Another possibility if you really want to represent your sniping familia would be to create several sub groups representing a larger one but they would have to play against each others at some point sooner or later.

1vs1 will also result in a lot of drama and shit talking because it's impossible to measure a player's "skill" in this game, especially the sniper class, by doing a one vs one. At our level, everyone can click on heads fairly easily and taking into consideration how little the class moves around, winning would be a matter of luck over skill. The ranking system would be all f***ed. Keep the 1vs1 business for games or classes with a lot of possibility when it comes down to movements.

Also, would euros be allowed to compete against north american players? Should we have a ping limit ? Another debatable topic ...

Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  7. †TFD† Dman13146

†TFD† Dman13146 El No-Scope Master

I am totally in favor of this. I believe that if it is managed right and has the correct lineup of admins, this can be really cool. There are, of course, going to be some specifications that will need to be ironed out (Some systems to help protect from sandbagging, and a direct rule book with very specific terms), but it can work. Wonderful idea.

8. J.D. wHO DAt

J.D. wHO DAt Moderator Staff Member Moderator The Enforcer -Sʐ- Admin.Sʐ

Honestly you got me at 1v1......I think that would be an awesome idea. If you need donations just let me know. I don't use 90% of my shit.

DrunkDoc likes this.
  9. disco

disco godfather

I'd love to see this unfold, currently making a logo for it.

DrunkDoc likes this.
  10. Perish ♪

Perish ♪ Oink oink Staff Member -Sʐ- Admin.Sʐ

It is definitely worth a try.

But it would require two important things:
    - The managers / organizers for this project must be fully committed to the project even if it starts off shaky (first few months). If one would need to take time off (for maybe vacation or irl issues) an active replacement must be there.

- Player incentive. I remember Zarack's tournament with $50 prize. But maybe the leader-boards could entice players to climb the ranks. After all, people are so addicted to points. ~__~

You'd have make them care about the leader-boards firstly. An idea would be to have the rank visible on many places... Like websites and SvS public servers. Jump starting the project with better prize pools might also help.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I am willing to donate only 2 keys if the project managers are confident, committed, and currently don't have IRL events pulling them away. If it is successful after three months: I will donate 4 keys, successful after another three: then 8 keys. These aren't much, but maybe others would like to donate incentives as well.

I would like to also see a list of the people managing this project and what their roles are. Please and thank you. :)

Unfortunately, I will not be participating in competitive SvS (or other Tf2 comp.). Nor do I have the time to help with the project. I just want to see the SvS community grow.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2014
  11. cedde

cedde Snipin's a good job, mate! Staff Member SNIPEZILLA Admin.Sʐ Sʐ Tournament -Sʐ-

I would love to see happen. But it is not so easy: maintening plugins, server, db can be very difficult!

12. DrunkDoc

I still vote we push to get more steam groups involved in this before investigating further issues

13. Luop90

Luop90 Baby Zilla Admin.Sʐ

All of my yes!

Might be slightly difficult to set up, but it would be something I'd gladly participate in, and probably donate a couple keys into the prize pot.

14. cedde

cedde Snipin's a good job, mate! Staff Member SNIPEZILLA Admin.Sʐ Sʐ Tournament -Sʐ-

Also, What we learned here is the need of a team -more than one- to maintain the site/server up. Technically we are only 3. Probably need more but it is not so easy to find or judge someone trusty from the online.

15. ΩhiteΣtripeʐ

ΩhiteΣtripeʐ Autism Speaks SNIPEZILLA

Time is the key thing in knowing who is trustworthy.

16. ΩhiteΣtripeʐ

17. Cats

Cats #hs Staff Member SNIPEZILLA Sʐ Tournament Admin.Sʐ

this announcement is a year old, I've tried my best to get this project running, but I don't have time with college and work, I wish next summer I will be more available

ΩhiteΣtripeʐ likes this.
  18. we should have people play by like points if we do this otherwise the top players that i have seen will just destroy...

19. ΩhiteΣtripeʐ

Start the tournament toxic.

20. ΩhiteΣtripeʐ

I call cats as a teammate