1. TOURNAMENT SERVERS

darwin.snipezilla.com:27015(74.91.122.168:27015)
    darwin.snipezilla.com:27016(74.91.122.168:27016)
    Command: !sz, !menu

TF2 Novice TF2 Sniper Reference Guide

Discussion in 'PC Games Discussion' started by Novus, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Novus

Novus Arabian Cuntwaffle Admin.Sʐ

Hello! Hallo! Bonjour! Hola! Hej! Здравствуйте, if you want to be a language connoisseur! My name is Koro-Sensei (props to you if you know where it's from :p) and if my name is different for some time in the future don't be surprised :p! I'm here to give tips/advice to newer/novice Team Fortress 2 snipers! Once again most of these are my opinions and you have every right to correct me, suggest, and counter my advice! I no where consider myself an expert sniper, but these are my tips on how I improved and got to were I am today!

Let's cut to the chase shall we? :3

Settings

1 Sensitivity

The sensitivity is preference for every user. Just keep in mind lower sensitivity is probably a better choice then choosing a very high sens, but once again this is preference and matters also on what type of mouse you have. I have a 2000 dpi mouse (this is my mouse, very inexpensive but gets things done) obviously it would be very different if someone decided to use my sens with a 8000 dpi mouse. I have no experience with gamepads/controllers, but from friends experiences I don't recommend using one.

My Settings:

1 "Raw Input" setting in your "Mouse" settings.

[​IMG]

2 Uncheck the "Mouse Acceleration" setting (this is really really implied)

[​IMG]

2 Graphics/Monitor Vsync/Trace Free/Sharpness

I'm a very lucky bugger and I have my hands on a MSI GTX 970 graphics card and AMD 8370 cpu system (I built myself :3). Frames do play a big part in TF2 sniping, TF2 is very unoptimised and if your struggling to get over 30 frames on your system (60 frames is preferred) I recommend adjusting your graphic settings.

1 First try adjusting your resolution, the lowest achievable resolution is 640 x 480, this can be done by changing your aspect ratio to 4:3 (please note it will look very unproportional if your monitor is not a 4:3 aspect ratio!)

[​IMG]

2 Try adjusting your "Advanced" graphical settings (lower right called "Advanced..."). "Model Detail", "Texture Detail", "Shadow Detail", and "Anti-aliasing Mode"(smoothens squarish models, here's a video that explains Anti Aliasing) is the most impactful on your system (please correct me if I'm wrong). Try lowering these settings!

[​IMG]

3 Alternatives to improving your frames is try using DirectX v8, this drastically lowers the quality of models and lighting, so I recommend only doing if you really need to! Another alternative is getting rid of all those pesky unusuals and hats! Yes you heard me, there is a mod where you can remove all hat models, here.

Yes like I said I'm a very lucky buck, and I have access to an ASUS VGA248 LCD Monitor, this is the ultimate gaming monitor with tons of settings. Obviously this doesn't apply to you if you don't have the equipment or settings for your monitor. I'm going to keep this vague so you can apply the same settings to yours.

4 Vsync, this essentially removes tearing if enabled, I have a 144hz monitor and most today run on 60hz. The only way to really achieve 144hz, 120hz or 60hz vsync is to have the frames that is corresponding with your rate. I currently have vsync turned off because I feel like it's more comfortable to snipe with 300 frames, so once again this is preference!

[​IMG]

5 Sharpness and Trace Free
    This is a setting where most people are like "oh look! let's set trace free/sharpness to 100%!" then "OH WTF??! Why does everything look so WEIRD?!?!" I had the same reaction, but I can't tell you enough how much it improves your accuracy. Your eyes will adjust and soon you won't be able to tell the difference then before. But I'd recommend turning this setting off if you want to watch a movie, look at some devianart, or watch some Assassination Classroom :3!

Now your suited up to face the world of sniping!

Training

This is a controversy topic for many snipers, some of these things are different for each user and more effective to every different person. To find out what best fits you, try giving them all a try!

1 Playing Pubs/Volvo Servers

Just playing the game itself will improve your aim, and to learn the basics playing on these types of servers are just great ways of practice. This will teach you the basics of tracking skills. If your not fond of doing lobbies or just haven't adapted the skill needed to compete in competitive lobbies this is a great place to start. The only problem is, Pubs/Volvo servers are unpredictable on how the gameplay, players, and map will be

2 SVS

SVS is a great way to practice but it shouldn't be the only thing you do, the mistake many people make is only using SVS as practice. This teaches bad habits such as SS (Second Scoping), now this is a very divided topic but I'm going to say the facts about SS. SS is waiting/baiting the other sniper to scope in first then scope in to shoot to kill the person that is disadvantaged. Yes SS is tons easier but once you get in the competitive scene (I'm sure many of you will), you don't have just snipers anymore and you will meet tons of snipers that First Scope that have 5000 hrs on sniper alone. SS will do you no justice and put yourself in shame. Unless you plan on competing in OSL for the rest of your life I'd recommend trying to first scope. Back to SVS, SVS is also great for players who only used Volvo/Pubs as there practice, this improves their ability to counter-snipe other snipers. And remember SnipeZilla is a svs server! :333333

3 OSU!

This is a hit and miss with some people, but I felt like OSU! really did help improve my accuracy. OSU! is a fun rhythm game that lets you jam to your favorite songs and improves mouse aim in general. You can download this fun weaboo game here!

4 Offline Practice

This is where I mostly train (because of my crappy internet), there are tons of aim training maps but I recommend a few hand picked maps:

tr_aim_training

tr_walkway

For tr_aim_training I recommend using the bot room, this teaches you where hitboxes are for each classes and tracking skills, if you practice every day on this map you surely will improve!

tr_walkway I'd recommend having the bots do random motions, this will make it more realistic then having them go in a straight predictable line!

5 Competitive

I'm not sure if you are training for competitive or you just want to improve as a sniper in general, tf2center.com is a great place to train for competitive. I'd recommend playing about 100 lobbies before attempting to join a team (I have very bad experience not doing so). Tf2center shows you the great side of tf2's community and a great fun experience. I'd like to give fair warning, the regulars there aren't so kind to newcomers, so if you have 500 hrs or less just be careful and don't be offended if you get kicked from a lobby.

If I left anything out please leave that in comments below!

Thank you guys <3!

Koro-Sensei wants friends :3!
    So you can add me here: steamcommunity.com/id/ryaun

I hope I helped you newcomers! :D

2. cedde

cedde Snipin's a good job, mate! Staff Member SNIPEZILLA Admin.Sʐ Sʐ Tournament -Sʐ-

3 thumbs up. Good and informative post. I really like it. :)
    pstt Your mouse sucks.

3. Novus

4. cedde

cedde Snipin's a good job, mate! Staff Member SNIPEZILLA Admin.Sʐ Sʐ Tournament -Sʐ-

autoexec.cfg is important too! the default are not optimized.
    here's mine (lite version):
    cl_cmdrate 66
    cl_interp 0
    cl_interp_ratio 1
    cl_lagcompensation 1
    cl_pred_optimize 2
    cl_smooth 0
    cl_smoothtime 0.01
    cl_updaterate 66
    rate 60000
    cl_showfps 1
    fps_max 121
    snd_async_fullyasync 1

5. Novus

ah yes I'm stupid, I forgot about that especially interp

6. Novus

btw my mouse is not that bad, cheap yes but it has decent build quality, different dpi settings I think very nice for 14 dollars

7. cedde

8. Novus

9. Johan

Johan S-Defens

HEJ! What can i say, i am impressed. This is indeed 100% Perfect! Thank you for this!

Novus likes this.
  10. DrunkDoc

DrunkDoc Sz. Personnel Manager Staff Member Administrator Moderator Admin.Sʐ King of the Bitch Fight -Sʐ- "Drunk"

Drunk uses 5000 DPI, 23 Sensitivity, 1.25 mouse accel (depending on if my arm is hurting or not.. about to have surgery)

11. cedde

I have a 144hz monitor, and I recently discover that fps_max 0 removed all my artifacts(tearing and stuttering).

12. DrunkDoc

DrunkDoc Sz. Personnel Manager Staff Member Administrator Moderator Admin.Sʐ King of the Bitch Fight -Sʐ- "Drunk"

my sensitivity changed to 12,000 DPI at times and 31 sensitivity (mostly used for Tf dodgeball)

13. cedde

14. DrunkDoc

damn lol idk if i like wireless tho

15. BATMAN (That Retro Gamer)

BATMAN (That Retro Gamer) Baby Zilla Admin.Sʐ

What do you guys think about razer as a company? Thier products are crazy expensive compared to some other, lesser known companies, but are apparently god like quality. im thinking about buying a razor mouse/keyboard because my current setup is getting a bit run down.

this is what im using right now:
    mouse:
    http://www.sharkoon.com/product/1692/12527#desc

keyboard:
    http://www.sharkoon.com/product/1693/Skiller#desc

I picked them up cheap from a local electronics store, for around 60$ for the both of them.

any suggestions?

16. cedde

Their products look premium, but they went downhill. Lot of complaints with synapse; no more on board memory.
    Logitech has better quality and is cheaper too. IMHO.(I have a razer with on board memory and no synapse).

17. Nasty Butler666

Nasty Butler666 Baby Zilla Admin.Sʐ

Didn't even notice this thread. Not sure what my settings are but I'll definitely try this out.

Appreciate it!